Granted patents and patent applications
Set Cement Properties
Leak repair fluids and processes
Peer reviewed publications
High Temperature Cement
- “Development of silica-enriched cement-based materials with improved aging resistance for application in high-temperature environments,” Krakowiak, K.J., Thomas, J.J., James, S., Abuhaikal, M. and Ulm, F.-J., Cement and Concrete Research, 105 (2018), 91.
- “Inference of the phase-to-mechanical property link via coupled X-ray spectrometry and indentation analysis: Application to cement-based materials,” Krakowiak, K.J., Wilson, W., James, S., Musso, S. and Ulm, F.-J., Cement and Concrete Research, 67 (2015), 271.
- “Nano-chemo-mechanical signature of conventional oil-well cement systems: Effects of elevated temperature and curing time,” Krakowiak K.J., Thomas, J.J., Musso, S., James, S., Akono, A.-T. and Ulm F.-J., Cement and Concrete Research, 67 (2015), 103.
Cement Sheath Integrity
- “The scratch test for strength and fracture toughness determination of oil well cements cured at high temperature and pressure,” Ulm, F.-J. and James, S., Cement and Concrete Research, 41 (2011), 942.
- “Zonal Isolation Modeling and Measurements - Past Myths and Today's Realities,” James, S. and Boukhelifa, L., SPE Drilling & Completion, March 2008, 23(1), 68.
- “Evaluation of Cement Systems for Oil and Gas Well Zonal Isolation in a Full-Scale Annular Geometry,” Boukhelifa, L., Moroni, N., James, S.G., Le Roy-Delage, S., Thiercelin, M.J. and Lemaire, G., SPE Drilling & Completion, March 2005, 20(1), 44.
P&A and Foam cement
- “Laboratory and Field Validation of a Sealant System for Critical Plug and Abandon Situations,” Naglehout, A.C.G., Bosma, M.G.R., Mul, P.J., Krol, G.G., van Velzen, J.F.G., Joldersma, J.S., James, S.G., Dargaud, B., Schreuder, G.J.R. and Thery, F., SPE Drilling & Completion, September 2010, 25(3), 314.
- “Rheology of foamed cement,” Ahmed, R.M., Takach, N.E., Khan, U.M., Taoutaou, S., James, S., Sassen, A. and Godoy, R., Cement and Concrete Research, 39 (2009), 353.
Permeable Cement, Lost Circulation and Calcium Aluminate Cement
- “The Search for Alternatives to Screen: Is Permeable Cement a Viable Option,” Vidick, B., James, S., and Drochon, B., SPE Drilling & Completion, September 2008, 23(3), 229.
- “Understanding Lost Circulation While Cementing: Field Study and Laboratory Research,” Therond, E., Taoutaou, S., James, S. G., Way, P. W., Gomes, P., & Dondale, A., SPE Drilling & Completion, March 2018, 33(1), 77.
- “Effect of tartaric acid on hydration of a sodium-metasilicate activated blend of calcium aluminate cement and fly ash F,” Pyatina, T., Sugama, T., Moon, J. and James, S., Materials 2016, 9, 422.
Fracturing and Sand Control
- “Screenless Completions: Cost Effective Sand Control in the Adriatic Sea,” Pitoni, E., Devia, F., James, S.G. and Heitmann, N., SPE Drilling & Completion, December 2000, 15(4), 293.
- “High Permeability Channels in Proppant Packs Containing Random Fibers,” Howard, P.R., James, S.G. and Milton-Tayler, D., SPE Production & Facilities, August 1999, 14(3), 197.
Thermoplastics and Liquid Crystal Polymers
- “Measurement of the Interfacial Tension Between Polyethersulphone and a Thermotropic Liquid Crystalline Copolyester,” James, S.G., Donald, A.M., Miles, I.S., Mallagh, L., and MacDonald, W.A., J.Polym. Sci. Polym. Physics, 1993, 31, 227.
- “Correlation Between the Morphology and Permeability of Liquid Crystalline Polymer/Polyethersulphone Blends,” James, S.G., Donald, A.M., Miles, I.S., and MacDonald, W.A., High Performance Polymers, 1992, 4, 3.
- “Rheology of a Smectic Main Chain Polymer,” James, S.G., Navard, P., and Noel, C., Rheologica Acta, 1990, 29, 368.
- “Blends of a Liquid Crystalline Copolyester with Polyethersulphone,” James, S.G., Donald, A.M., and MacDonald, W.A., Mol. Cryst., Liq, Cryst., 1987, 153, 491.
- “Flow-Induced Structures in Isotropic and Anisotropic Cellulose Derivative Blends,” James, S.G., Schatzle, J., Tsakalos, V., Peuvrel-Disdier, E., and Navard, P., Cellulose and Cellulose Derivatives, 1995, 393.
A recent publication from Elsevier, Fluid Chemistry, Drilling and Completion, Volume One, published November 2nd 2021. Edited by Qiwei Wang from Saudi Aramco.
Remedial Cementing Chapter, authors G. Daccord, D. Guillot & S. James, in, Well Cementing, 2nd edition, P503 – 547, Schlumberger 2006. Edited by Erik Nelson and Dominique Guillot, Schlumberger.
Conference presentations, and Oilfield Review articles
- “Fundamental Investigation of the Chemical and Mechanical Properties of High-Temperature-Cured Oilwell Cements,” Thomas, J.J., James, S., Ortega, J.A., Musso, S., Auzerais, F., Krakowiak K.J., Akono, A.-T., Ulm F.-J. and Pellenq, R., paper OTC23668 presented at the Offshore Technology Conference, Houston, Texas, 30 April - 3 May, 2012.
- “High-Pressure, High-Temperature Technologies,” Schlumberger Oilfield Review, autumn 2008, 46-60.
- “From Mud to cement – Building Gas Wells,” Schlumberger Oilfield Review, autumn 2003, 62-75.
- “The Replacement of Alkyl-Phenol Ethoxylates to Improve the Environmental Acceptability of Drilling Fluid Additives,” Getliff, J., and James, S.G., paper SPE35982 presented at the International Conference on Health, Safety and Environment, New Orleans, Louisiana, 9-12 June 1996.
- “An Integrated Approach to the Development of a Water-Based Mud With Oil-Based Mud Performance,” Sawdon, C.A., Brady, M.E., Cliffe, S. and James, S.G., paper SPE29375 presented at the SPE/IADC Drilling Conference, Amsterdam, 28 Feb.-2 Mar. 1995.
- “Well Bore Simulator Examines Drilling Fluid, Shale Interactions,” James, S.G., Gorrod, P.J.B., and Forsans, T., Petroleum Engineer International, June 1993, 52.
- “The Influence of Oil-Based Drilling Fluid Chemistry and Physical Properties on Oil Retention on Cuttings,” Oakley, D.J., James, S.G., and Cliffe, S., paper SPE23060 presented at Offshore Europe Conference, Aberdeen 3-6 September 1991.
Fracturing and Sand Control
- “Screenless Completions: The Development, Application and Field Validation of a Simplified Model for Improved Reliability of Fracturing for Sand Control Treatments,” Guinot, F., Zhao, J., James, S.G. and d'Huteau, E., paper SPE68934 presented at the SPE 2001 European Formation Damage Symposium, The Hague, May 21-22.
- “Interaction Between Growing Channels in Proppant Packs: Length and Number of Channels,” James, S.G., Lee, C., Howard, P.R. and Cundall, P.A., paper SPE58756 presented at the SPE International Symposium on Formation Damage, Lafayette, Louisiana, 23-24 February, 2000.
- “Proppant Flowback Control in High Temperature Wells,” James, S.G., Samuelson, M.L., Reed, G.W., and Sullivan, S.C., paper SPE39960 presented at the Rocky Mountain Regional/Low-Permeability Reservoirs Symposium and Exhibition, Denver, Colorado, 5-8 April 1998.
- “Fiber Technology,” James, S., in "Reservoir Stimulation", 3rd edition, M.J. Economides and K.G. Nolte editors, P11-31 Wiley, 2000.